“Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.” – Shannon L. Alder
I love quotes and if I allowed myself to, I would easily spend hours on Pinterest and Instagram re-posting and sharing quotes. In fact I have several boards on Pinterest dedicated to quotes and my Instagram is a beautiful collage of the quotes that touch, move or inspire me in some way.
No matter what mood I’m in, there is always a quote to match how I am feeling. Sometimes a quote cheers me up, other times a quote lets me know that I am not alone. A quote can also provide the motivation I need to keep going and overcome obstacles, give me faith when I am faced with life’s challenges and inspiration when I’m feeling lost or disillusioned.
As February is commonly regarded as the month of love, I thought it would be great to kick start it with a selection of inspiring quotes to encourage self-love.
Women often try to be all things to all people, and spend most of their time trying to satisfy everyone’s expectations of who they should be, how they should act and what they should look like. Not only is this exhausting, it can be extremely damaging to our self-confidence and self-esteem, leaving us feeling unworthy of love.
Quotes are an effective way of encouraging you to practice self-love as they can be used in a similar way to affirmations, removing negative beliefs over time.
Here are 28 quotes by women to encourage self-love, one for every day in Feb:
1. “To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.” – Sandra Bieri
2. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”– Lucille Ball
3. “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.” – Alice Walker
4. “Do your thing and don’t care if they like it.” – Tina Fey
5. “Whatever someone did to you in the past has no power over the present. Only you give it power.” — Oprah Winfrey
6. “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits – anything that kept me small. My judgement called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.” – Kim McMillen
7. “The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within – strength, courage, dignity.” – Ruby Dee
8. “Always follow your dreams. If there’s something people tell you that you can’t do it, go for it.” – Mo’one Davis
9. “Believing in our hearts that who we are is enough is the key to a more satisfying and balanced life.”- Ellen Sue Stern
10. “Whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you’ll find that when you’re free . . . your true self comes out. – Tina Turner
11. “I had to grow to love my body. I did not have a good self-image at first. Finally it occurred to me, I’m either going to love me or hate me. And I chose to love myself. Then everything kind of sprung from there. Things that I thought weren’t attractive became sexy. Confidence makes you sexy.” – Queen Latifah
12. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.”– Jean Shinoda Bolen
13. “Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself – no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are – completely; the good and the bad – and make changes as YOU see fit – not because you think someone else wants you to be different.”– Stacey Charter
14. “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” – Oprah Winfrey
15. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.”– Louise L. Hay
16. “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
17. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
18. “Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.” – Marva Collins
19. “The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.” – Rita Mae Brown
20. “If you aren’t good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren’t even giving to yourself.” – Barbara De Angelis
21. “Becoming acquainted with yourself is a price well worth paying for the love that will really address your needs.”- Daphne Rose Kingma
22. “Deal with yourself as an individual worthy of respect, and make everyone else deal with you the same way. ” – Nikki Giovanni
23. “There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”– Anaïs Nin
24. “Wanting to be liked means being a supporting character in your own life, using the cues of the actors around you to determine your next line rather than your own script. It means that your self-worth will always be tied to what someone else thinks about you, forever out of your control.” – Jessica Valenti
25. “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” – Tyra Banks
26. “I think the most important thing in life is self-love, because if you don’t have self-love, and respect for everything about your own body, your own soul, your own capsule, then how can you have an authentic relationship with anyone else?” – Shailene Woodley
27. “Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion.” – Margo Anand
28. “One of the best guides to how to be self-loving is to give ourselves the love we are often dreaming about receiving from others. There was a time when I felt lousy about my over-forty body, saw myself as too fat, too this, or too that. Yet I fantasized about finding a lover who would give me the gift of being loved as I am. It is silly, isn’t it, that I would dream of someone else offering to me the acceptance and affirmation I was withholding from myself. This was a moment when the maxim “You can never love anybody if you are unable to love yourself” made clear sense. And I add, “Do not expect to receive the love from someone else you do not give yourself.” – Bell Hooks
I hope these quotes encourage you to begin practicing self-love on a daily basis.
Remember to check out my Pinterest and Instagram accounts if you like me you cannot get enough of quotes and if you already have a regular ritual you perform to ensure you are showing yourself love, please share it with us in the comments below.
Photo Source: www.foter.com